Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hoop! Der it is!

Wallace's aticle, "Tense Present", reviewed how Bryan A. Garner's A Dictionary of Modern American Usage balances the relationship between authority and democracy. Though most authors will usually tip the scale in favor of one or the other, Wallace seems to believe Garner proportioned these two issues equally. Wallace points out that Garner uses the "Democratic Spirit" when writing the usage guide, but doesn't hesitate to mention his use of authority either.
The article then goes on to talk about Garner's use of prescriptivism, getting into the difference between prescriptivists and descriptivists.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I couldn't find somewhere on this MoFo that I could just send you a message without commenting on your blog, but I just wanted to say that I like your profile picture. You're as white as I am. lol.